This technique works so well that forgetting to defrost a steak will never be a problem again.
- Set up your grill for ‘2-zone’ cooking – hot on one side and not hot on the other.
- Start by putting your steak on the hot side and sear about 5 minutes on each.
- Season both sides well with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and move to the not hot side and close the lid (this will allow you to use your grill more like an oven).
- Cook approximately another 7 minutes a side or until a thermometer reads between about 125 and 128 for medium rare.
- Remove, cover loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes.