No ham? No bacon? No chorizo? Nope, none of that. Just amazing sauteed shiitakes and leeks with a ridiculously good chive hollandaise. And don't forget...to take the pressure off you for having to make perfect poached eggs at the last minute, you can always make 'em in advance (like the day before even) put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking, then simply store in cold water in the fridge. Then slip them into simmering water for about a minute to serve. Yes, I am here for you.
Makes 4 poached eggs
- 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and tops sliced thin
- 1 large leek, white & light green only part sliced lengthwise, then into thin half-rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oli
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Kosher & fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, super finely chopped
- 4 poached eggs
- 2 English Muffins or whatever break-like product your heart desires - I used a great flat bread and it was effing perfect (just sayin)
- Put shiitakes and leeks in a pan with the olive oil and butter - cook over medium heat until beautifully softened, 7-10 minutes and season to taste with salt & pepper
- While they cook, make the Hollandaise, and when it's done throw in the chopped chives and blend another 15 seconds - keep warm
- Poach the eggs, and toast your bread product
- Serve by topping bread with the leek mixture, topping with an egg and adding the hollandaise - but then you already knew that, right?