I’ve always been confused why ‘veggie burgers’ are seldom made from vegetables. Nuts, beans, grains, twigs…everything but actual vegetables.
Well, that stops right now. Because here is a magnificent ‘veggie burger’ with pesto and goat cheese that even your carnivore friends will appreciate.It’s awesome off thegrill, off thegrill panor off of whatever you’ve got. Go ahead, just make it.
Makes 4 burgers
- 1/3 cup store-bought pesto
- 1/3 cup softened goat cheese
- 2 large carrots, cut lengthwise into wide 1⁄4 inch thick strips
- 2 red bell peppers, sides cut off and core and seeds discarded
- 2 yellow peppers, sides cut off and core and seeds discarded
- 1 red onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch thick rounds
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1⁄2-inch thick rounds
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sourdough buns (if you can find them, and if not, whatever works for you)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Mix together the pesto and goat cheese—set aside.
- Brush veggies lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the veggies to the grill and cook on both sides until tender and a little charred all over—this will be 7 to 10 minutes for the peppers and carrots and about 5 minutes for the onion and eggplant.
- Toast the buns lightly on the grill. Spread the pesto mixture on the bottom of the buns and add the veggies and the top bun.