The only way this gets easier is if someone makes it for you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 vine-ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup red wine (any wine you enjoy drinking will do)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (stacked, roll like a cigar and then thinly sliced lengthwise)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat and add onion - cook about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and cook another minute or so - just until fragrant
- Add tomatoes, turn heat up and let cook a minute or two
- Next add wine and tomato paste, mix then bring sauce to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer about 10 minutes
- Add the basil then season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve on everything - pasta (of course), toast, eggs, polenta, pizza, grilled bread, chicken... did I say on everything?