Is a simple and delicious thing to make - and the addition of pesto makes it even greater.
- 1 boneless New York steak, at least 1 inch thick & room temperature
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 sandwich rolls, sliced in half & buttered
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- Preheat cast iron pan or skillet until smoking hot
- Lightly rub steak with a little oil and season well on both sides with salt & pepper
- Cook steak for 3 minutes, flip & continue cooking for 2 minutes (for medium rare), remove from pan and place on a plate to rest
- In the same pan, add spinach and cook until slightly wilted - about 2 minutes
- While steak is resting, place buns cut-side down on a flat top or large non-stick pan until lightly toasted
- Spread mayo and pesto on bottom half of each toasted bun and top with spinach
- Slice the steak thinly and stack on the spinach - season steak with a little more salt and pepper and top with the other bun.