This method will result in a perfectly cooked steak with virtually the same level of doneness all the way thru. That means not only a desirable pink center, but the whole frickin steak will be perfect. And it will work on any thick steak. That being said I suppose it will work on a thin steak – but you don’t need this technique for a thin steak. And btw, don’t eat thin steaks.
- 1 steak (at least 1½ inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Place steak on top of a cooling wire rack (if you have one) with a rimmed baking sheet underneath
- Lightly oil steak and season both sides generously with salt and pepper
- Using a probe thermometer set to 131 degrees, push probe horizontally into the center of the steak - be careful not to touch bone if the steak has one
- Put in oven until steak reaches the set temperature
- Heat a cast iron pan on high (about 5 minutes)
- Remove steak from the oven, turn on stove fan and sear about 45 seconds to a minute on each side to get a nice brown crust
- Slice against the grain, and get ready to be wowed!