This is the 'Dog's Bollocks' (which means "The Best" in British slang). Make it once and you'll be converted into a British food lover forever. It's the ultimate comfort food and an easy family meal pleaser.
And, this dish is originally from Ireland, making it is perfect to feed a big hungry mob for St. Pat's Day, to soak up that Guinness!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300
- Boil a large pot of salted water add potatoes and cook until tender, drain, mash and then stir in 4 tablespoons of the butter and 1 cup of the cheese, set aside
- Cook ground beef in a large pan until just cooked through - remove to a bowl
- Using the same pan, heat oil and add onion and carrots - cook until just softened, 5-7 minutes
- Stir in flour and remaining butter, mix well to form a thick kinda paste & cook for 2 minutes more then add the tomato paste, beef broth, parsley, cooked vegetables, ground beef & season with salt and black pepper to taste - be sure to mix well
- Grease a large 9'' x 12'' oven proof dish, add the ground beef mixture and top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes.
WATCH ME COOK THIS...