Serves 4 as appetizer
I had this dish for breakfast on a recent trip to the beautiful wine region, Valle de Guadlupe, Mexico... They were made by the most wonderful chef, Dona Estela in this amazing restaurant (see photos). This is my version of the recipe and it's super easy.
- 1 Pork Chorizo sausage pack (you can use soy chorizo, but don't use beef chorizo!)
- 8 appetizer size tortillas
- 1/2 large cooked sweet potato, skin removed, diced small
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 green onions, chopped, discard dark green parts
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Pork rinds (Chicharrones), scrunched up in your hands
Heat skillet on medium cook chorizo, until throughly for about 10 minutes or until 145°
In separate skillet, heat oil and butter to warm and add color to sweet potato 2-3 minutes
Preheat a skillet on low/medium
In medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup cheese, potato, chorizo, green onion, pork rinds
Get layering: sprinkle cheese on 4 tortillas, add 3 tablespoons of the mix to each, then top with sprinkle cheese and tortilla, and cook for 2 minutes each side.