According to Randy Gruber from Restaurant Americana, the key to making non-rubbery calamari is to use high heat so it sears and cooks quickly. Have everything at the ready when you start - it goes fast.
- 12 ounces calamari steak cut into 6 large triangles
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- olive oil
- Season calamari with salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in medium pan on high heat
- Pan sear calamari until cooked on both sides - about one minute each side
- Add butter, garlic, capers, 1/2 the parsley & basil and lemon juice
- Cook for just a minute and serve with sauce from pan.