Julian is known for apple pies - and the whole apple pie industry started with Gayann Farmer. Looking for a way to use more apples in her orchard and find a job to keep her at home with her kids, she started making pies - a lot of them. In a regular day she easily could have made 600 or more pies. Not in the business anymore - Gayann and her mother Mary cooked for me in Mary's kitchen. This is one of the desserts they made. It seems way too easy to be so good - but it is. Trust me.
- Lady fingers
- Macintosh apples
- Fresh basil
- Chopped almonds
- Whipping cream
- Gayann makes her own chunky apple sauce by combining sliced apples in a pan with a little water and sugar and cooking until softened (you could buy your own chunky -tart apple sauce, just don't tell Gayann)
- Add chopped basil to cooled sauce
- Dip each lady finger in amaretto, and place in bottom of serving dish - use about 3 per person
- Put some of the chunky sauce on top of the fingers
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of cream over apples, add whipping cream to the top and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Serve - and make another one because it's so good