June used to make this back in the olden days for her 4 kids - Marc, Jill, Ted and Kim (now all adults stinking up their own houses, no doubt). The problem is sole tends to make its presence known during cooking. But that's OK because it's way delicious - just don't make it the day before you have a special event at your house - OK make that 2 days before. But do make it, because it's great. June says you must use Petrale sole, but unless she's invited over, you can use whatever sole you like. I like Dover, plus it's less expensive.
- 3/4 pound sole
- 2 tablespoons tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup bread crumbs - I like the Japanese 'Panko' crumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar/jack mix
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray
- Put in sole and sprinkle each piece lightly with tarragon, vinegar then basil
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Mix bread crumbs and cheese and put on top of each piece of fish
- Pour melted butter over top of crumb mixture
- Turn oven up to 375 and bake for about 10 more minutes
- Remove and enjoy
- Go out to eat the next night, and leave the windows open.