If you're making this, you better also be making Katherine's Meatballs. Cuz if you're not, you're making a giant mistake. Believe me.
- 2-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Olive oil
- In a large pot, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Add garlic and onion and cook until golden brown
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste
- Fill tomato paste can with water (3 times) and add to sauce - 4 if it's really thick
- Simmer for about 3 minutes, then add meatballs and sugar
- Simmer for 1 to 2 hours and stir often (or sauce will burn) being careful not to break meatballs - no one wants a busted meatball
- At about an hour, check thickness and flavor - then add basil and salt & pepper if necessary.
- Cook until meatballs are fully cooked - but not dry.