I did a show a few years ago and listed my favorite food related things - here they are...
- #10 - Cooking Guy Turkey Bacon Panini, McDonald's Del Mar Heights Road, San Diego - It's hard to believe, but this Mickey's has an extra bistro section and there really is a Cooking Guy sandwich. All my faves - turkey, bacon and grilled onions.
- #9 - Hot Dog on a StickAt Malls Everywhere - The one and only Hot Dog on a Stick. All the rest fall short.
- #8 - Salad Rolls, Saffron Thai Grilled Chicken, India Street - www.sumeiyu.com/rest.htm
- #7 - Potato Chip & Tomato Sandwich, My House - Potato chips, thinly sliced tomatoes and some kind of mayo item. Yum.
- #6 - Raclette, Peg & Matt's House or your house - Peg & Matt turned me on to this last New Year's Eve. Raclette is a classic Swiss dish - essentially melted cheese, served over boiled potatoes, with small pickled onions and gherkins. It is a massive amount of taste and fun. Here is what a raclette oven looks like:http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_toolbox_pages/swissmar_matterhorn_raclette_gri.htm
- #5 - Animal Style Fries, In & Out Burgers, Everywhere - This is not on the menu, so don't look for it, just ask. They cover an order of fries with grilled onions, cheese and burger sauce. You can also order a burger "animal style". Oh my God.
- #4 - Anything on the menu at Arterra Restaurant, Del Mar Mariott, San Diego - This is what going out should be... incredible tasting food presented in an incredible way. Even if you just go to the bar - try the truffle fries and a "Carl" sushi roll.
- #3 - Take Out Dim Sum, Jasmine Express, Convoy Street - I'm here 2 or 3 times a week. Cheap, great and really quick.
- #2 - Root Beer Popsicles, Anywhere - Need I say more?
- #1 - In Store Restaurant, Mitsuwa Marketplace, Kearny Mesa Blvd. - My favorite market for anything Japanese - food, candy, sake or gifts. And the little take out restaurant is the best and inexpensive. Go hungry - they even have plastic models of the food to show you what you'll get.