You know how I feel about using frozen shrimp - I think they're just great. I'm the same with scallops - buy a bag and keep them in the freezer for a last minute deal. They defrost in about 3 minutes under cold running water. Hoisin is available from ANY supermarket in the Asian food section.
- 1/2 lb scallops, defrosted and dried on paper towels
- 1/4 cup Chinese Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 6 scallions (green onions)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Trim green onion ends and cut into 1" pieces
- Mix together Hoisin, soy, and sherry
- Heat wok with oil until almost smoking
- Put in green onions and scallops - stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until scallops are cooked
- Add Hoisin mixture and stir all until thickened and heated through, about a minute
- Sprinkle with finely chopped green onion and serve over rice.