I have a very definite idea on what a good dog should be - and this is it. By the way, life is too short to eat single dogs on a bun...
- 8 hot dogs - go Kosher, you'll thank me later
- 1 medium red onion, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 ounce package 'ready bacon', diced fine
- 1-14 ounce can chili - beans...no beans, meat...no meat - you decide
- Hot sauce
- 4 big sandwich rolls or big hot dog buns or whatever
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Boil dogs in a pot of water 5-7 minutes or until they start to 'plump'
- While they cook, saute red onion in oil until it softens really well - then add bacon and allow bacon to crisp slightly - remove to a bowl
- Heat chili - in a pot or in the crow, it's up to you
- Remove dogs from pot and slice lengthwise down the center, but not all the way through - leave a little hinge
- In the same pan you used for the bacon, sear the dogs on both "open sides" until juicy, glistening and starting to brown
- Heat broiler and brown buns just slightly
- Build it like this - place 2 seared dogs on a bun, top with chili, top with onion & bacon, top with hot sauce then a final topping with the cheddar and stick under the broiler until melty
- My bet is nothin' will top this...