I shot a show on the USS Asheville - a fast attack nuclear submarine, and I have Shari and Jared Hofer to thank for starting the legwork. Jared was on the Asheville, and his wife Shari had written to tell me that the food on the sub was better than the aircraft carrier where I had also done a show. The Hofer's are now stationed in Italy and sent this recipe in to the show.
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 lb spicy spicy Italian sausage (casings removed and crumbled)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing and brown with olive oil in alarge pan with crushed garlic.
- Boil gnocchi - it is done when it floats to the top of the water.
- When sausage is cooked add cream, tomato sauce and fresh basil.
- Add gnocchi and stir, salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese - and enjoy!