Traditionally eggplant is breaded & then deep fried for this sandwich - but we're not doing that. We're going natural and all delicious. I wanna make one just thinking about it...
- 1 large globe eggplant - or 2 smaller ones
- 3 large tomatoes
- 4 slices mozzerella cheese
- 4 crusty Italian type rolls, split in half
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Cut eggplant & tomatoes to get eight 1/4 inch slices of each
- Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt & pepper
- Grill eggplant on both sides until soft and marked with grill lines
- Do the same with tomatoes, but for about half the eggplant time
- Heat broiler, and toast buns lightly
- Remove from oven and on top of the bottom roll place, in this order...
- 2 slices of eggplant, 2 slices of tomato, 3 large basil leaves, mozzerella cheese and finally about 2 tablespoons of parmesan
- Place openface under broiler to melt cheese and brown the top - but don't go far you don't want them to burn.
- Place tops on and slice in half - yummm