This old-school Chinese food classic just showed up in your kitchen. Have at it...
- 1 lb flank or skirt steak, cut against the grain, bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/2 water
- 1/2 soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- In medium bowl add corn starch and beef, coat the beef well but shake off excess - set aside.
- Heat a wok or skillet on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil then put in the minced garlic and ginger - stir and cook about a minute or until very fragrant, don't let it burn.
- Add soy sauce, water & brown sugar to the wok - mix and let boil about 2 minutes, remove to a bowl.
- Put wok back on the heat with 1/4 cup of oil, when it gets hot add the beef and cook, stirring constantly until browned on all sides but not quite cooked all the way through - maybe 2 minutes
- Remove excess oil then put sauce back in with the beef and let simmer to thick a couple minutes
- Serve on rice, garnished with finely sliced green onions and sesame seeds.