This is so good either alone or as an accompaniment. In fact, it's a perfect match for the Asian Scallops - see recipe.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter - creamy is best
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound lo mein or linguine
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed & strings discarded
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- Combine soy, vinegar, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, peanut butter, sesame oil, ginger, and chicken broth in a small saucepan
- Simmer and stir until it is thick and smooth and let cool.
- Cook snow peas in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about a 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to cool; drain well.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water - do not overcook.
- Drain and then rinse noodles under cold water.
- Drain again well and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the snow peas to the noodles and toss both in the sauce.
- Serve at room temperature with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts.