We love to entertain, and in the beautiful summer weather we try to do it often. But prepping for a party or even a small gathering can be daunting for some. In fact it can be the one thing that keeps people from entertaining at all. But I’m here to say it’s all about the prep and getting most of it done in advance will make the day a snap, a breeze and even a walk in the park. Trust me.
Here are a couple menu ideas and... what I do in advance (in bold) to make my life easy:
- Shrimp skewered & brushed with pesto – and I let my guests grill their own. Fun for them & less work for me
- Steaks marinated ready to cook – they just need to be grilled
Roasted Vegetable Cous Cous
- Totally made and ready to be served, room temp
- Totally made – just waiting to go on the grill after the steaks come off as they rest
- Poundcake cut, fruit mixed in a bowl and whip cream made – just need to grill the cake and assemble
Artichokes with 2 different dips
- Cleaned, steamed with sauces made ready to eat
- Brats completely done and slow simmering in a pot
- Sautéed onions and peppers (for the brats) all done earlier in the day or the day before even - just need to be reheated
- All made, croutons too and in a bowl in the fridge with dressing in a separate container – just needs to be tossed
Completely done and ready to be served room temp
- You didn’t need me to tell you but I will – done and in the freezer waiting to be eaten
It doesn’t take a lot – ok, it does takes a little planning but that’s it. So don’t make yourself crazy – get a head of the game and all will be well.