Perhaps the king of Filipino food, this nearly fool-proof dish is easily one of my favorite chicken things to make. And if you’ve ever thought about dipping your toe into the world of Asian food, this is a perfect recipe to start with. And btw, yes - I did forget to add the brown sugar (I hate me sometimes).
Serves 2-4 (depends how hungry you are)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- Combine soy, vinegar, pepper, brown sugar, garlic and bay leaves in the bottom of a large pot with a well fitting lid pot.
- Place chicken skin side down in pot and bring to a boil
- Immediately turn down to a simmer and cover
- After 30 minutes remove lid, turn chicken over and simmer for another 20 - 30 minutes until super tender
- Serve with steamed rice