- Heat oven to 400
- Combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl – mix well with a whisk to combine
If making by hand
: grate 1 1/2 sticks of the butter into the flour mixture and mix with your fingers to combine – don’t be too rough
If using a processor
: Put 3 cups of the flour mixture in a food processor with the steel blade, and add 1 1/2 sticks of the butter cut into chunks. Pulse until the largest pieces are the size of peas. Return butter mixture to the bowl with the flour mixture. Use your fingers to combine.
- Then add the buttermilk and mix until just combined - the mixture should resemble coarse crumbs, with no big chunks of butter (if the butter gets very soft at this point, refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes)<
Note: The key is in the handling of the dough. The dough should be handled as little as possible or you will have tough biscuits.
- Put on a floured surface and gently pat down into a rectangle aboutapprox 2" thick
- Cut into squares, circles or whatever and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (or a silpat) about an inch apart
- Melt remaining butterwith the rosemaryand brush over biscuits
- Bake until cooked through, 20-25 minutes