One of my favorite side dishes and the perfect accompaniment to any Asian main course. Not to mention a great way to learn to like kale.
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (aka dinosaur kale), washed
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sesame oil, or
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil with ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Cut or pull out the thick middle stem of each kale leaf, then cut cross-wise into one inch strips
- Heat a large pan or wok to medium high, add neutral oil and just when it starts to smoke – add kale
- Cook kale, stirring a lot until wilted about 2 minutes, then add ginger & garlic – continue stirring another couple minutes
- Add soy, sesame oil and red pepper flakes if using and cook, stirring one more minute
- Plate and top with seeds.