Featured recipe on Back to School Day TV episode.
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (I used orecchiette)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (like vegetable or canola)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ pound cooked brisket
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces horseradish Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½-1 cup French Fried Onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water a little less time than the directions on the package, drain well but save some of the pasta water.
- Cook onion in oil until soft and brisket - cook another 2 minutes to just warm up the brisket, set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it.
- Melt butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
- On low heat, add handfuls of the Gouda and Cheddar cheese to the sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, add the cooked macaroni, brisket mixture and stir well.
- Pour into a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle fried onions on top
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.