Makes 16 2" squares or 32 1"x2" small bars
I don't go for many sweet things, but this is a favorite of mine, it's in the top 10.
- 4 ounces (1/4 pound or 1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan
- 10-ounce bag Marshmallows
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (about half a 12-ounce box)
- Grease an 8-inch square cake pan with 2-inch sides.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty.
- Stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom as you do. Don’t take your eyes off the pot as while you may be impatient for it to start browning, the period between the time the butter begins to take on color and the point where it burns is often less than a minute.
- As soon as the butter takes on a nutty color, turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows. The residual heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt them, but if it is not, turn it back on low until the marshmallows are smooth.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the salt and cereal together. Quickly spread into prepared pan. You can use a piece of waxed or parchment paper sprayed with oil or spread with butter (even better, save the wrapper from the butter and use that!) to press it firmly and evenly into the edges and corners, though a silicon spatula works almost as well.
- Let cool completely and then cut into squares. Devour.