Too many people overcook scallops and it's time to stop. If you overcook yours, I'll have to come over and knock you in the head. You simply need lots of heat and little time.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lb large sea scallops
- peanut oil
- Place all ingredients except scallops in a glass or ceramic shallow bowl.
- Mix well and add scallops.
- Marinate 5 minutes each side at room temperature. If you marinate scallops too long, they'll get mushy.
- Transfer scallops to a plate and reserve marinade.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large saute pan over high heat until hot and almost smoking.
- Add scallops (cook in batches if necessary to keep from being too crowded) and saute quickly until seared brown and just cooked through - about 2 minutes a side.
- Remove from pan.
- Add marinade to pan and boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle scallops with sauce.