Cullen is a small town in Scotland and home to this delicious fish chowder. But it’s traditionally made with smoked haddock that I couldn’t find, so I used smoked salmon and it was fricking delicious.
Try it mate, I think you’ll love it.
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1lb smoked salmon (or smoked haddock)
- ½ stick/55g butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into a medium dice
- 1 large leek, cleaned, sliced lengthwise and chopped into half rounds
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup bacon, cooked/crispy/crumbled
- Put the milk, half a dozen parsley stems and bay leaf into a small pot and simmer about 5 minutes
- While it cools, put 1 tablespoon each butter & olive oil in a small pot and with the onion & leek – cook about 5 minutes until nicely softened
- Break up salmon, add to milk and continue to simmer about 5 more minutes – then strain and add milk and salmon to the onions & leaks
- Carefully stir in mashed potatoes – you don’t want to break up the salmon too much
- Add salt and pepper as needed and serve topped with bacon & chopped parsley.