Makes 4 burgers
I shot a show at the San Diego Zoo – wait, make that ‘world famous’ San Diego Zoo. I felt like cooking with anything 'meat' would have been in poor taste and my sister in law Cheryl suggested I make something with Portobello mushrooms cuz they taste meat-like but aren't. So I did…and I loved it and you will too.
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, the big guys right?
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 8 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 8 slices
- Put sliced mushrooms in a pan and cook over medium heat until softened – add teriyaki sauce, mix and turn off heat
- Heat grill to medium/high
- Lightly oil Portobello’s, place on grill & cook 3 - 4 minutes on each side until softened, add 2 slices of cheese to each mushroom – and put the buns on the grill
- While cheese melts and buns toast – heat the teriyaki mushrooms
- On the bottom buns once toasted, put some mayo and a little teriyaki and mix, top with tomatoes, Portobello’s and then the sliced mushrooms and the top bun